Today I'm flying to Vegas, but first I'll sort out my closet so it's nicely organized for when I get back from my trip. I'll be packing lightweight summery dresses (as it's in the 80s and high 70s in Vegas this week) and otherwise storing away all my summer clothes. Front and center in my closet needs to be sweaters, leggings, tunics and warm dresses.
QUICK THINGS TO DO TODAY:
- Need to do any laundry? I generally wash my sheets and towels on Sundays, and a load of clothing for the workweek ahead if I can get to it.
- How are your bathroom hand towels looking? How about the hand towels you use in your kitchen? Need to wash them and replace them with fresh ones in the meantime?
- What does your house smell like today? (Mine smells like dogs). Do you need to open windows to air out the house, light candles, vacuum carpet with freshener, boil cinnamon in a pot of water on the stove? Or does your house smell nice and fresh as is?
- How are your houseplants doing? Need to fertilize them, water them, or adjust them for more light?
- Who else here besides me needs to declutter a mail table? I want to process and file the mail, not just move it around from place to place.
- Are you remembering to take your vitamins? I notice my fingernails have grown longer and stronger since I've done a better job of taking my vitamins lately. Bonus!
- Fridge and freezer maintenance: Clean one drawer, one shelf, or two door pockets in your fridge and freezer today. This way your fridge and freezer get cleaned out completely about once every month or six weeks!
TODAY'S PROJECT: Closet Sorting
Tonight I leave for a three day trip to Las Vegas. (Yay!) My cousin is coming to stay and dogsit for me, so I need to put my house back in order nicely for her. I just had carpet installed, so I have three bedrooms full of furniture to replace and dust, and my clothes need to be put back in the closet. (They're currently draped over a couple couches!) I'm a bit stressed out by this project, and wish I had an extra day or two between the carpet installation and my departure. Oh well! I'll put on some music and start trying on some clothes. I can pack my suitcase while I work to restore my closet. And as always, I'll try to weed out any clothes I'm not actually wearing, making a nice pile to drop off at Goodwill when I get back.
Here in Seattle, I'll be wearing lightweight sweaters (under a light jacket) for most of Fall, and then heavier sweaters under a heavier coat in winter. (Luckily we rarely get below 28 degrees here!) I stored my sweaters away in the summer, to make more room in the closet for sundresses. Now I'll be swapping them, hanging the sweaters up and folding the sundresses carefully away in my storage boxes.
As I get out my sweaters, I'll be inspecting them for wear, fading, missing buttons, dust and dirt, and scent. I put them away clean at the start of summer, but if they smell musty when I take them out of their storage box, I'll have to get them cleaned again. I'll hang the sweaters and my fall dresses up in the place my sundresses used to hang.
For now I am going to leave my shoes alone, I'll sort them when I get back from my trip. I wonder if I will do some shopping while I'm there and bring home more clothes and shoes? Hopefully I can control myself a little bit.
It's time to put away bathing suits (other than the two I'm taking to Vegas with me), skimpy tank tops, shorts, and sandals. It's still too early to get my holiday gowns out of storage in my guest bedroom closet, so I have a bit of extra room in my closet for now.
I also need to tidy my basket of bras, basket of underwear, and the folded piles of tshirts and nightdresses I sleep in. Next week when I am home for an evening, I will watch TV while sorting my sock drawer and basket full of nylons, Spanx and pantyhose.
I expect this project to take about four or five hours. I'll be carrying clothes up to the closet an armload at a time, stopping to lay them out on my bed, inspecting them, trying them on, putting things aside for the charity box, and hanging clothing back up. I confess I'm a bit stressed about trying to get this big of a project done before heading to the airport!
If you sort your closet tonight, be sure to lay out something special to wear tomorrow. How about something you haven't worn in a long while that looks pretty on you?
LOVELY BLOGS: Pretty Prudent
This blog is co-written by Jacinda, Jaime, Colleen, and Sonya. They focus their efforts on writing about travel, style, family, and crafts. And babies, of course. This is an absolutely gorgeous blog, with lots of lovely and useful tips as well. There are a lot of DIY projects here. Today it's Fabric Friday as well as Flower Friday. One of the authors is celebrating her DIY post about making cozy things for babies. I have a feeling many of my Lovely Living readers are really going to respond to and enjoy this beautiful and helpful blog!
LOVELY LINKS FOR TODAY: