I want to get a few things done this afternoon before I go out to dinner and a movie. I want to feel like I have accomplished something going into the weekend, so if I spend the rest of it lazying around, I won't feel so bad! I bet I can pop a load of laundry into the washer real quickly, swap it out into the dryer on my first tea break this morning, and bake a quick banana bread mix during my lunch break today. After work, a quick session in the garden, and then I can get dressed up to go out and enjoy my evening!
QUICK THINGS TO DO TODAY:
- Take advantage of summer's bounty as long as you can. Shop for heirloom tomatoes, sweet corn, fresh berries.
- I'm eating up all my popsicles while the weather is still hot enough to enjoy them. I won't buy any more - the season is almost over!
- I know I will miss being able to have all my doors and windows open, and air my comforters on a sunny railing outdoors. So today every window and door in my home is thrown open to the fresh air, and my bedroom and guest bedroom comforters are hanging out in the sun right now. I'll take them in just before it gets dark (and buggy) outside.
- Prepare your home for the weekend. Sweep or vacuum as needed; empty trashcans throughout the house; declutter dining table, coffee table and mail table as applicable. Empty or fill sink/dishwasher and wipe down kitchen counters. Check bathrooms for toilet paper, towels that need to be hung, and replace hand towels with clean ones. Water houseplants; recycle newspapers and magazines.
- Create your social plans for this weekend if you haven't done so already - call, text or email friends with your ideas! But don't forget to build in some down time and alone time for yourself if possible!
TODAY'S PROJECT: Planting Flowers
Yesterday I stopped at Home Depot to pick up these lovely colorful snapdragons and pansies. They'll likely last through November, making an empty part of my flowerbed cheerful and pretty. I am determined to plant them today before I go out to dinner and a movie. I won't let myself make excuses this time - "It's too hot," "It's too cold" or "It might rain." If I really buckle down and just plant them, it should take less than 20 minutes!
LOVELY BLOGS: Highgate Hill Kitchen
Sarah blogs from her home in Brisbane, Australia. I'm really impressed by her recipe ideas. She doesn't cook the same old dishes as every other blogger, she doesn't seem to have jumped on the bacon and cupcake bandwagon, and yet she exhibits restraint in her creations. Sometimes I'm just startled by six or seven ingredient blog recipe titles. In this case, Sarah envisions unusual combinations but limits the flavors wisely to two or three. I'm going to attempt her Zucchini Frittata today. It's Spring where she lives, and late summer here, but we have plentiful zucchinis and I think this will make a lovely lunch for me today.
LOVELY FOOD: Pumpkin Truffles
My allergy to spices makes me unable to enjoy these pumpkin truffles (sad face!) but they're so cute and.. judging by how delicious the other Moonstruck truffles I've eaten are, I imagine they are insanely delicious. I'll definitely be tucking little boxes of these into autumn birthday gifts and hostess gifts this year!
LOVELY SHOPS: Sugar Shoppe LA
I love to include cute little shaped sugar cubes when I'm throwing parties. Even if it's not a tea party! You might want to put a cube or two in your after-dinner coffee, or toss a cube into the top of your champagne at one of my cocktail parties.
The shaped sugars here are intended for bridal or baby showers, but there are also some Halloween, autumn, and winter holiday themed cubes.
My favorite item here at the moment is their pumpkin sugar cubes.
LOVELY LINKS FOR TODAY:
--Copyright 2015 Lovely Living