We work hard to take care of our families, homes and friends. Today, let's take time and make a priority to do three nice things for ourselves. It's not selfish - a happy homemaker makes for a happy home!
You'll know what your three lovely things might be. For me, I'll take a long bath instead of a hurried shower; I'll carve out 30 minutes to leisurely read a magazine while sipping iced tea in a sunny window; and I'll take extra time at lunch to make my favorite sandwich - and savor it - instead of just gulping down yogurt in front of the computer.
QUICK THINGS TO DO TODAY:
- Now that we're at the end of February, have you been able to put away your Valentine's decorations? Time to get out your Spring, St. Patrick's Day or Easter themed decor, if you decorate for those holidays or for this season.
- We're almost through the workweek! Anything you need to do so you're not falling behind on housework? A quick bit of vacuuming, a quick mop down for the kitchen floor, a load of laundry washed and folded and put away?
- Make social plans for this weekend so you and your friends have a bit of advance notice of something fun you'll do together.
- Will you be eating dinner on a clean tablecloth tonight? Be sure to change yours if it is soiled or crumb-encrusted. It's attention to the little things like this that make a regular home a lovely home.
- Plan a special Friday lunch for your kids (if you are the one who packs their lunch boxes.) It will be easier to surprise them with something special tomorrow if you plan ahead today.
- Need to pick up any milk, fresh veggies or fruit on your way home today?
TODAY'S PROJECT: Do Three Lovely Things for You and You Alone
Do three pleasurable things today, just for you, even if they seem selfish or indulgent. Maybe we shouldn't be partaking in ice cream if we're watching our diets, or taking time away from important tasks that will make us feel guilty later. But I bet we can slip in enough time tonight to do three easy things to make ourselves happy. Maybe just a small portion of ice cream!
Perhaps it's a bath, an uninterrupted phone call to a good friend, half an hour with a home decor or cooking magazine, indulging in a mind-numbing TV show, or lingering over a latte at Starbucks. Just do something you enjoy, something that will make you feel nice, something to honor yourself.
LOVELY BLOGS: Adventures in Decorating
This is Becca's blog showcasing her home decorating projects and holiday decor. I'm currently enjoying looking through her beautiful Valentine's Day decor and her Valentine's Day mantel- she put so much time into this and it looks fabulous! You can also peek into her Winter Great Room. I can't wait to see what she does for Easter!
LOVELY BOOKS: Dessert for Two
Christina from the Dessert for Two blog just published her first cookbook. I'm so excited to check it out. I like dessert (but tend to prioritize an appetizer or cocktail instead, if I'm watching my caloric intake) but find portions too big. I seem to run out of steam or get bored before I can eat them. So I love this concept of tiny desserts that are just enough for two people to share. Chapters include Cookies, Bars, Cakes, Southern Delights, and Candy.
LOVELY FOOD: House Tin Cookies
My house-shaped packaging obsession led me to seek out these cookies. Sadly, Dean & Deluca does not provide any info about them. They appear to depict a windmill, but I can't tell what they'd taste like. That will help me control myself and not buy them!
LOVELY SHOPS: Claudine Hellmuth Printables
This Washington DC-based artist creates beautiful and whimsical printables you can use for gifting and party needs. Once you buy the item, print it out, cut and glue or tape it and use it right away. My favorite item is the retro oven cupcake box, with the printable pink retro camper a close second. There are also some printable paper dolls, but I don't really like the style of artwork on them. Her Christmas printable favor boxes are extremely adorable - check out the Christmas Sweet Shoppe favor box for example!
LOVELY LINKS FOR TODAY:
--Copyright 2015 Lovely Living